Przejdź do treści A- A+ Reset Wersja tekstowa Wysoki kontrast Pełna wersja
Jesteś tutaj: Home / Worth seeing / Kosakowo municipality

Kosakowo municipality

About community

Kosakowo commune is located within the mesoregion Kashubian Seashore, on the bays of Puck and Gdańsk, in the north-eastern part of the pomorskie (Pomeranian) province. In the south and west Kosakowo borders urbanised areas of Gdynia and Rumia. It comprises grounds of unique in Poland natural, cultural and recreational characteristics.

Mechelinki Meadows Nature Reserve

The reserve is located between Rewa and Mechelinki, it covers ​​meadows and rushes on the area of 113,4 ha. It is is a research point of bird migration and a viewpoint from which you can admire the reserve. It is exeptionally rich with the population of Eryngium maritimum.

The nature reserve of the gray heron in Mosty

It protects a small forest of alder. In the forest a colony of approximately 80 gray heron breeds.

Marshal Jozef Pilsudski National Hall of Honor in Rewa

The Marine Cross is a promenade forming a memorial dedicated to the Heros of Polish Sea. The avenue was created in 2004 under the initiative of Rewa resident Tadeusz Krzysztof and the Head of Gmina Jerzy Włudzik. It is located at the base of 1 km spit called “Szpyrk”.

Beka nature reserve

Beka nature reserve is located at the mouth of the proglacial valley of the river Reda where it flows into the Bay of Puck. It is recognised as one of the most important natural sites on the Polish shore of the Baltic Sea as it is one of three places where seasie halophilous (brackish) grounds occur, observed only in places where the sea naturlly meets the land.

Mechelińskie Łąki nature reserve

Mechelińskie Łąki nature reserve is established over 113.47 ha of rushes and meadows stretching between Rewa and Mechelinki to
preserve and protect nesting grounds and habitats of precious water and mud birds as well as rush and meadow plant communities and
unique halophilous habitats and the characteristic for them water conditions.

The All Polish Marshal Józef Piłsudski Memorial Honour Lane for Men o the Sea in Rewa

The All Polish Marshal Józef Piłsudski Memorial Honour Lane for Men o the Sea in Rewa was established in 2004 at the initiative of an honorary citizen of Kosakowo Commune Tadeusz Krzysztof and the Head of the Commune Jerzy Włudzik to commemorate outstanding people associated with Polish marine traditions. The lane starts at the base o Rewski Point and is crownd with the Maritime Cross arms of which are shaped like anchors. The annual Ceremony of Building in Plaques (and since 2009 also Plinths) held in the summer attracts crowds of tourists.

Rewa Sand Bar

One of the most interesting Baltic shore forms in Kosakowo Commune is Rewa Sand Bar (Mierzeja Rewska) called Rewa Cape or Szpërk. The headland separates warm and calmer water the Bay of Puck from more salty and colder water of the Bay of Gdańsk. When the water level in the Bay lowers, the 40-50 m wide at its base sand bar emerges from water making up a 1 km long natural pier – a favourite place for all seagulls. Created by the same currents as the Hel Peninsula, Szpërk forms part of a large, two-metre shallow called Mewia Rewa, known also as “Ryf Mew” (Seagull Sandbar) or “Rybitwia Mielizna” (Terns’ Shallow), stretching underwater as far as Kuźnica.

Maritime Cross in Rewa

For times immemorial (probably since the turn of the 19th c.) there has been the Maritime Cross on Szpërk. A tall cross of oak tree, hold up by stones is oriented south.
The cross must have been consecrated but the date could not be established. In 1922 at the foot of the cross a fi eld service was held for General Józef Haller. A photograph of the celebration has been preserved showing people participating in the ceremony viewed from the side of the cross which, however, was not captured in the photo. The story narrated by an old fi sherman in 1960s shows how much the cross was revered by inhabitants of Rewa, and especially by fi shermen and sailors of Rewa barges.

Barges of Rewa

At the time when there were no roads linking villages located on the Bay of Puck, Rewa – today within Kosakowo Commune - was the centre of fl ourishing local sea transport. Wooden sailing ships transported mainly timber, peat and building materials to Gdańsk, Puck, then also to Gdynia and Hel. In 1826 – 1945 barges of Rewa formed the Kashubian coastal transport fleet and then ten out of 15 ships became fi rst merchant ships of reborn Poland.

Manor house in Mosty

A manor complex with a one-storey, brick manor house from the 18th c. with a sloping roof and an attic. Inside, Baroque wooden stairs, two fi replaces, one with Rococo-style and the other with classicistic decorations.

Kępa Oksywska

A vast, slightly rolling moraine plateau with a steep 30-40 m high cliff on the coast of the Bay of Puck in Mechelinki from which one can admire a breathtaking panorama ranging from the torpedo testing site in Gdynia as far as Rewa Cape. Together with Kepa Pucka, Kępa Redłowska and Kępa Swarzewska it is separated from the rest of the Treble City plateau by the Kashubian Proglacial Valley shaped by water of the retreating icesheet. During the defensive war of 1939, already on 1 September, German troops attacked along the axis Reda-Kazimierz and Biała Rzeka-Dębogórze.

Ash trees in Mechelinki

In 2006 two approx. 250 years old ash trees growing just at the beach were given names Mściwoj and Świętopełk.

Bernard Oak Tree

At least 150 years old common oak tree at the dirt road in Mechelinki, once guarding over a choleric cemetery dating from1865-1870. Bernard Chrzanowski walking from Pierwoszyno to Rewa stopped to rest under this very tree. Next to it there is a triangulation network note “27.85” m above sea level – a part of the old system of measuring country area.

Linden Lane

About 250-300 years old lane lined with forty linden trees links the road Pierwoszyno - Mosty and a manor house dating from the 18th c.


Strona 1 z 1