Jastarnia - the Peninsula's heart
Jastarnia - the heart of the peninsula
Although it has been a town from 1973 the first traces of settlement date back two thousand years back. The first written mention was made in 1378 about the location of a fishermen’s village Hastarnia. Later Jastarnia’s history was full of turbulent events. The village was divided by a fence and a ditch - the catholic (called the Pucka part) and the protestant (called the Gdanska part, or the forest). The basic craft was fishing, and the fishermen joined together in cooperative groups called “Maszoperie"
In the interwar period, the situation of Jastarnia changed fundamentally after the construction of the railway line. As early as in 1930s the fisherman’s village changed into a fashionable resort that it remains today.
All year round, guests will find beautiful, clean beaches, crystal clear iodine-infiltrated air, therapeutic climate of the sea, hospitable people. Sailors appreciate the large and comfortable marina, which is constantly expanded and modernized. Proponents of active leisure can sail, windsurf, play volleyball on the beach or sightsee from the height of the bicycle saddle. The perfect idea for holidays is to take advantage of one of several windsurfing schools.
Monuments and tourist attractions (e.g. The Fisherman’s Cottage, Museum “under the straw – covered roof”, the private collection of fishing equipment of Mr Jan Wysocki in the port’s harbour and a Fortification Scansen) nature routes, outgoing and friendly people, beautiful culture, rich tradition and natural values makes Jastarnia alluring place for tourists. Most of them come back here more than once.