City of Puck
In 1911 the German Imperial Navy started the construction of the first naval air base on the Baltic. The chosen site was Puck, as it offered the bay’s sheltered waters and the vicinity of a railway line. One year before the World War I started, the 1st Naval Air Squadron (Erste Marine Flieger Abteilung), equipped with seaplanes, was formed.
Next to the former buildings of the Naval Air Squadron, facing 10 Lutego Street, opposite the District Office of Puck (Pol. Gmina) there is a memorial to Polish pilots.
Next to the complex of the former hangars of the Puck base, facing Edwarda Szystowskiego Street and in front of PZM AMEX office, there is another memorial honouring the Air Forces. Its stone pedestal is crowned with a bust commemorating Commander Edward Szystowski, the co-founder of the Polish Navy and commander of the Naval Air Squadron.
The cemetery in Lipowa alley sites the grave of aircraft pilots. Commander pilot Edward Szystowski, the commander of the Naval Air Squadron and the first Polish officer that died in World War II was buried there, as well as other Polish soldiers – victims of September 1939 fights in the Puck area.
In early 14th c. Teutonic Knights located the so-called Fisheries Office at the mouth of the Płutnica River. The institution was important as it provided the order with fish in times which abounded with numerous and long periods of fast, which the knights of the order had to respect.
King Vladislaus IV’s pursuit of Poland’s access to the Baltic and the Polish policy in the first half of the 17th c. led to the strengthening of the defense system in the Puck Bay - the base area for the Polish fleet.
In the second half ofthe 16th c. Polish privateers’ fleet was created, designed to block the port in Narwa during the war over Livonia. It was made up of merchant ships whose skippers operated on the basis of the so-called letters of marque. Privateers were treated as the king’s soldiers and called the„guards of the sea”.
In Park Przyjaźni, between Generała Józefa Hallera [General Haller] and Morskiego Dywizjonu Lotniczego [Naval Air Squadron] Streets there is a prominent and distinguished monument called a Memorial to Brotherhood of Arms, built in 1976-1978. It is shaped as a tall ornamented pillar piercing a stone ring.
Blessed priest Lt. Cdr. Władysław Miegoń (1892-1942) was the priest chaplain to the 1st Naval Battalion, with which he arrived in Puck in 1920. He participated in the ceremony of Poland’s wedding to the sea performed by General Haller, and concelebrated a ceremonius Holy Mass on that occasion.
There is a memorial tablet on the building of the Puck townhall, founded by the Kashubia-Pomerania Association.
Strona 1 z 1