Surroundings of Kosakowo
When establishing the Kriegsmarine base in Gdynia, the German command decided already in 1939 to use the Puck Bay as torpedo proving grounds. Waters there are sheltered by the Hel Peninsula, thus providing convenient conditions for test-firing of torpedoes and their recovering after the tests.
Gdynia, captured in 1939, became a naval base for the Kriegsmarine. Its importance resulted in an immediate installing of coastal and anti-aircraft artillery. Further defense plans were implemented in autumn 1940 as part of preparations for war with USSR.
The airport called Gdynia-Oksywie, Gdynia – Babie Doły Or Gdynia-Kosakowo Airport is in fact situated in Puck district, on the grounds of Kosakowo borough. It was built in the thirties on the grounds of Stefanowo (Amalienfelde) estate, near a former Polish airport in Nowy Obłuż.
At the entrance to the 43rd Naval Air Base in Kosakowo, following Zielona Street a monument devoted to MiG-21 jet fighters, of which almost 600 were used by the Polish Air Force. The monument shows a Mig-21 fighter mounted in a dynamic position.
Colonel Dąbek was a former World War I Austrian officer. Later he joined the Polish Army and fought in Polish-Ukrainian and Polish-Soviet campaigns. Until 1939 he remained in active service and in 1931 was promoted to colonel.
By the end of summer 1944, due to the advances of the Red Army, the German command (OKH) began to establish defenses on the whole area between the Vistula and Oder rivers. Gdynia and Gdańsk were converted into fortress cities with strong field defenses.
The Secret Military Organization „Pomeranian Griffin” was created in July 1941.
Within the conspiratorial operations carried out in the northern part of Kępa Oksywska in July 1943 a local partisan group was set up.
One of the fortified positions encircling Gdynia in 1945 lies in the area of Kosakowo. It is a stretch of the northern part of second defense line.
The acronym DOL means „Drogowy Odcinek Lotniskowy” – a part of state road which in wartime may be used as an airstrip. Straight, flat and widened part of the road is adapted for take-off and landing operations of military aircrafts. DOL Gdynia is situated on the voivodship road No 100, running from Kazimierz to Mosty villages.
On the western part of Kępa Oksywska forest fringe, near the crossing of Dębogórska Street (from Rumia) and Partyzantów Street (running from Dębogórze to Dębogórze-Wybudowanie) a large shrine is located.
One of the anti-aircraft batteries which defended the wartime German naval base in Gdynia was situated in Dębogórze. That was the 2nd Battery of 259th Naval AA Artillery Division, which was a part of the 9th Naval AA Artillery Regiment.
The Polish soldiers fallen during September 1939 campaign are buried in the communal cemetery in Kosakowo, by the St. Antoine church. 120 soldiers lie there, including 40 unknown.
A church in Kosakowo was constructed from 1925 until finished in 1937. It was a large neo-baroque temple with a tower 65 meters high. Two years later during war activities it was slightly damaged, but was still used by the locals.
Kępa Oksywska is an app. 6x7 km coastal plateau, which towers over the Gdynia port from the north. The battle that was fought there in September 12th-19th 1939 was the continuation of the defense fights at Gdynia, carried out by the troops of the Land Coastal Defense (Pol. abbr. LOW, under Col. Stanisław Dąbek) from September 1st.
Strona 1 z 1