Surroundings of Krokowa
By the road that joins the seaside village of Białogóra with Górczyn a country graveyard houses a memorial to the First World War victims. It has been well preserved and is shaped as a monument made of broken stone that supports a boulder holding a marble tablet. The tablet bears fourteen names of the villagers that sacrificed their lives for the homeland in the Great War of 1914-1918.
Wierzchucino is a large, old and well-planned Kashubian village, situated 11 kilometres west of Krokowa. The history of settlement in this area dates back to the early Iron Age and the name of the village was first mentioned as early as the 13th c. After the First World War, following the provisions of the Treaty of Versailles, the village remained part of Germany.
In the eastern part of Wierzchucino, by the road 213 to Krokowa, one can see a building that used to house the German Customs Office. The buildings were constructed on a slope to the right of the road. The structure received timber framing, or the so-called Prussian wall, covered with boards. Although the border crossing was situated as far as app. 3 kilometers from the spot, it was here that travellers and vehicles crossing the border had to go through customs.
After the First World War the Polish-German borderline was defined by the provisions of the Treaty of Versailles. The border stretch between Żarnowieckie Lake and the shore of the Baltic ran along the Piaśnica River. However, along Żarnowiecka Road it was not the river that marked the border, but the Piaśnica Stream, that was flowing its waters a little more westwards.
The fights that occupied the battlefields of the First World War ceased on 11th November 1918. However, it was only on 28 July 1919 that the Treaty of Versailles was signed to mark the ending of the war. Over half a year later, starting in January and February 1920, Pomerania was gradually handed over to Polish administration and army. The II Republic of Poland (interwar Poland) possessed 147 kilometres of coastline, which included 74 km of the shores of the Hel Peninsula, 24 km of the open sea, and 49 km of the Puck Bay’s shore.
In the middle of the 15th c. another war between by the Crown of the Kingdom of Poland and the Teutonic Knights, called the Thirteen Years’ War (1454-1466), broke out. The decisive battle of the conflict was fought on the 17th September 1462 at the village of Świecino and led to the defeat of the German knights, that’s why it is called „the other Grunwald”. As a result of the war the Order returned Gdańsk Pomerania and a part of Warmia with Malbork (the capital of the Order was moved to Królewiec) to the Kingdom of Poland.
Along the eastern shores of Żarnowieckie Lake stretches a thickly-wooded and richly formed moraine height, with its steep, hardly penetrable slopes. In early Middle Ages, perhaps 7th-9th c., one of the leading Slavonic fortalices of Eastern Pomerania functioned here. It was a wooden-earthwork settlement that made the centre of a number of neighbouring settlements inhabited by a community based on kinship and territorial links. What remains of the settlement is a gord in Góra Zamkowa, which is a hill in the southern part of the height.
Krokowa, also referred to as Krokowo, comprises estates which at least from the late 13th c. to the end of WWII belonged to the family of von Krockow. Probably as early as at the turn of the 13th and 14th c. there was a fortified knights’ seat located where routes to Puck, Wejherowo, Żarnowiec and Łeba crossed. The place was chosen in a picturesque valley cut by a stream which could serve its waters as a natural obstacle. In the course of time the castle became an important nobility-owned fortress in Northern Kashubia, and grew to its full form probably in the late 16th c.
Right by the inter-regional road 213, on the western edge of the Sulicice village, there is a memorial commemorating the death of seven partisans of the secret military organization „The Pomeranian Griffin”. On 4th March 1945 five of them were taken by surprise by German military police near a dug-out bunker. As soldiers of Polish underground armed forces they engaged in the fight and all died.
Strona 1 z 1