Przejdź do treści A- A+ Reset Wersja tekstowa Wysoki kontrast Pełna wersja
Jesteś tutaj: Home / Places & culture / Cities / Wejherowo - spiritual capital of Kashubia

Wejherowo - spiritual capital of Kashubia

Romantic walks along enchanting alleys of the town park, spiritual calming down while walking the paths of Wejherowo Calvary, a cup of coffee in one of many garden cafes on the market square, with the view at the sunlit Town Hall tower - this is what Wejherowo offers you for starters. But there is also the Przebendowskis and Keyserlingks palace where nowadays the Kashubian and Pomeranian Writing and Music Museum is located.

The town was founded by Jakub Wejher in 1650, as the only private town in Kashubia. He fulfilled here his vow that he has made several years earlier. During the Belarussian siege of a town of Biała in 1634, Wejher was buried after explosion. He then made o vow that if he survived, he would build a church in honour of the Holy Trinity and found a monastery. And that is what he did. After his death, the town was owned by the Radziwiłłs king John II and the Sobieski family and then, the Przebendowski family. Before the World War II, it was the biggest town in Kashubia. The historic buildings around the market square survived in the central part near the Wejher Square. In the middle of the square, there is Jakub Wejher's monument and behind it - a light and full of grace neobaroque building of the Town Hall, restructured at the beginning of 20th century. Wejherowo is also famous for its over 350 year old Wejherowo Calvary.

The pride of the market square is its Town Hall, with the ringing bell and the models of historic town center and Wejherowo Calvary. At noon you can hear the Kashubia anthem there.

Wejherowo is a good starting point for hikers, bikers or those travelling by motor vehicles, both in the direction of coastal belt (Karwia, Dębki, Białogóra, Kopalino, Sasino) and Tricity and Kashubia.